Tuesday, February 1, 2011

A snow day- Feb 1

I never completely finished this, but it was too good of a memory to delete...We went to bed last night with threats of winter weather on its way, and we woke up to a beautiful white landscape. Nothing like rolling over and going back to sleep, knowing that the day will be filled with lots of laughs, lots of snacking, and lots of wet laundry! I wouldn't trade these days for anything!
With extra time on my hands, I have found myself doing the things that I always feel too rushed to do. I hung some pictures that have been lining my floors, I replaced some photos in frames that needed updating, I reminisced through old photo albums, and I just smiled as tears filled my eyes, wondering where those babies have gone? How have we gotten to this place? MaryBeth is 5'3" (on a short day) and as pretty on the inside as she is on the outside...Benton is a little stud muffin with all of the 3rd grade girls and is able to pick up any sport and do it well...and Brandon is a funny, sensitive, perceptive, godly little man-in-training :)! I may need to put in a disclaimer...this blog is intended to simply help me not forget. I know that these days are too short; I don't want to open my eyes one day and realize that babies have morphed into teenagers and young adults in the blink of an eye. So if I come across bragadocious, it's because I am....when it comes to my babies. I think they are incredibly awesome, and I recognize that they are only mine for a really, really short while.
Winter semester has begun, and it seems to be looking a little brighter than the fall. Chris only goes to campus on Mondays, and his class load seems much more practical and interesting. One class in particular has kept he and I ina heated debate for the last several days. Mary Beth actually said today, "are y'all STILL talking about that?" haha! It's been great though, we keep digging in the scriptures looking for answers to those gray area topics that can really be tricky to navigate through as a pastor. I have started teaching our Sunday school class, and Chris is my co-teacher. That has been really good as well. Like a sponge, I was at a point where I had soaked in as muuch as I could, and it was time for me to be squeezed out. It has forced my mind to meditate on His Word, and I have truly noticed a difference in my spirit. I think there is a truly valid point in this...it's okay to take it in for a while...Bible studies, small groups, retreats, etc.... As a matter of fact, it's necessary. At some point, however, it becomes equally important to then be "squeezed out". It was time for me to DO, and it feels so right!
MaryBeth is busy swimming and playing basketball for the YMCA. Chris is her coach for bball, and her team is made up of several of her good friends from school. Middle school has been great, and she is really an excellent student and leader. I am really proud of her and the young lady she is turning into. She can, like any normal 11 year old, roll her eyes and get sassy, but if she couldn't, I would worry that she wasn't my child! Yes, mom, I put that in there for your benefit :)!
benton is also playing Y basketball, and he is also doing great in school. He took a practice TAKS test (our state test) and he did extremely well. He has been frustrated in the past that he didn't test into the gifted program, but he has finally proven to himself that he is really a bright kid. He is quiet the little cutie pie, and I can always rely on him to be a good, positive leader with his peers. He can, like any normal 9 year old, can make dumb choices when those surges of testosterone run through his body :)!!! Most recently, he sent his brother to the ER clinic to get his head stapled together :(!!!
Brandon has taken the winter sport season off because he played flag football after he played fall baseball. He needed a break, so he has lots of good, free, play time after school. He had really struggled last year in his adjustment to being here, but he has completely gotten settled. His behavior and ability to control himself have really improved. He's turned into such a kind, tender-hearted kid, and I know the Lord hsd big plans for him! As a matter of fact, I can hardly remember how hard last fall/winter were. Discipline has been key with him, and he is a classic case where consistency is key! The worst thing I can do for Brandon is back down to a hard, but good, decision I have made for him.
All three of them have been strong-willed...Dr. Dobson, next time you need a mom to interview on parenting a strong-willed child, please call me :)!!!
It looks like we are going to be snow bound for at least a couple more days...we are going to be crazy by the end...crazy and twenty pounds heavier :)!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers