Wednesday, December 29, 2010

My Birthday :)

Tomorrow, December 30, 2010, is my 39th birthday....why do I not feel like a grown up?I still feel like people should be surprised that I am old enough to have three kids...haha! Yesterday as I sat down to have my quiet time, I realized ALL of the many things I have to be thankful for, and I was intrigued by where alot of my thoughts gravitated towards...my mom and dad...my family...my godly heritage. I wrote this letter to my parents, but as I have said before, this blog is so that I will not forget. Many things in the letter are sweet 'inside' jokes, so it may not be funny or sentimental to anyone else, but that was never my intent. I'll mail this letter to my parents, and I'll soon forget. My hope is that this copy of the letter will serve as reminder to me when I am old and gray, just how good my life really has been.

Dear Mom and Dad,
I just wanted to tell you "Happy Birthing Day" and to say thank you for giving me such a good life. After 39 years of growing up, I've finally realized some things that I never stopped to say thank you for. This is a slight attempt to finally say thanks and acknowledge just how blessed I have been simply because I was born to you. This letter is also to Dad, even though he didn't have to push through labor to get me into this world :)....he did, however, push me through life with much love, encouragement, discipline, and support. So I guess "Happy Birthing Day" applies to him as well :)!
My thoughts may seem scattered and random, but I am simply going to say thanks on specific topics as they pop into my head- so here goes....
Thank you for...
1. nights of no sleep, lots of prayers, and tears shed for me that I never even knew about.
2.taking me to the dentist and spending a small fortune on my rotten teeth...years later those same teeth cost you thousands more in braces- so double thanks :)!
3. a great childhood free of fear, worry, or doubt.
4. a loving home where God has always been top priority.
5. countless prayers....A simple thank you for your prayers is simply NOT enough!
6. years of dance lessons, piano lessons, swim team practices and meets, 1 awful year of pee-wee softball, pee-wee cheerleading, beauty pageants,gymnastics, and the list goes on!
7. always having home-cooked dinner at the table as a family.
8. fun memories of painting, rearranging and redecorating our house on a tight budget-thankfully that gift is coming in handy even still today :)!
9. private Christian schooling for those formative elementary years, countless vacation Bible schools, church camps, choir tours, youth retreats, etc....
10. in-style clothes (Guess jeans, Coca-Cola shirts, Panama Jack shirts, and more!!!) while you went without.
11. family vacations at the Fiesta and the Rendevous...haha- sweet memories!!!!!
12. spending hours and hours with us at the swimming pool, everyday...all summer!
13. mom, countless number of frosting kits you put on my hair...even though those led to a few arguments :)!
14. Dad, ALL the cars and insurances you bought and paid for...NEVER once did I even THINK to say thank you...so THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!!
15. College...wow...you paid for it ALL plus a sorority...why?????? Why have you always loved me so much?
16. The wedding...OMG...I would like to think that I said thank you, but at that stage in my life, I think I expected the big, grandiose event!! I am really embarrassed....Dad, the veil really didn't "come with the dress" :), but you probably already figured that one out!!!....thank you....
17. ALL the pep-rallies, ballgames, and cheering events that you were always there for-even working for the athletic boosters, always there- my biggest fans.
18. special Christmas memories like the trampoline year, the Atari year, the year "we didn't get a lot...." but it was ALL downstairs waiting on us :)
19. costly prom dresses, beauty pageant gowns, Homecoming outfits, etc....
20. countless spend-the-night parties, New Years Eve/Birthday parties, and various other random events at our house...with your homemade cinnamon rolls :)
21. raising me up to recognize the blessings in my life.
22. teaching me right from wrong, praising me when I did right, and punishing me when I did wrong!
23. picking me up from the police station at 11 pm and eventually getting past your disappointment...long story....those interested may ask at a later time :). It sounds like a good, juicy story, but it really isn't much of a story at all :)
24. giving me an example of how to have a successful marriage, through the thick and the thin.
25. for loving my kids and my husband as much as I love them.
26. providing for me and my family and for recently helping Santa Clause out when times have been tight :).
27. supporting us on all of our crazy journeys :)!
28. mom, always offering me wisdom and guidance in my teaching career with the added bonus of swapping crazy stories!!
29. cheering me on when motherhood/ adulthood seemed to tough to endure.
30. listening to me on the phone when I just needed to preach and/or vent :)!
31. always praying.
32. always loving.
33. always giving.
34. always caring.
35. always supporting.
36. always working.
37. always serving.
38. always teaching.
39. ALWAYS being there for me...39 years of consistent, unconditional, undeserved love.....

I love you both more than words on paper could ever express. For 39 years, God has been so good to me. Thank you for equipping me with gifts that I can pass on for generations to come.
XOXOXO,
I love you a bushel and a peck and a hug around the neck!!!!

Amanda, a.k.a....Mandy ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers