Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thanksgiving 2010

WOW...what a difference a year can make! Most people look back on the past year at Christmas time/New Years Day. Thanksgiving, however, marks a pivitol point in our first year in Texas. Last Thanksgiving was truly was a rock-bottom experience that forced us to ask ourselves a serious question, "Were we really willing to travel down this road called 'the ministry' marked with difficulties, lonliness, challenges, and trials?" At that point in time, it was hard to see, and almost impossible to believe, that there were incredible blessings along that road as well. All we could see was what was currently right in front of our faces, and it was not good. Although our Thanksgiving week had been full of visits from some dear friends from Alabama and Mississippi, and we had spent a mimi-vacation at The Great Wolf Lodge, Thansgiving week 2009 was very dark, sad, and lonely for us. We were in between churches, we were still very homesick, and we were struggling to try to sell the house in Oxford. As simple as it sounds, the cure for our blues came through a simple phone call with Brother Gary, several phone conversations with Leroy, and lots of prayers from people who love us and believe in us. We made it through that dark season, but I never would have dreamed we'd be sitting here where we are today...just one year later!
Today, has started off for me with a nice, but windy, run with one of my dearest, sweetest friends, Ashley. I am now sitting in a quiet, sleepy house waiting on my coffee to finish brewing. We have had an awesome week just being at home. Chris has been busy doing school work and helping decorate the church for Christmas. While he has been working, the kids and I have done a ministry event called the BIG GIVE. We were given "talents" (money) from our church, and we were challenged to invest it in the Kingdom as God impressed us. The kids and I used our money to buy the materials to make nail crosses wired with glass beads. We made our crosses and went door-to-door selling them. As of today, we have made about $80 on a $25 investment. The kids have really seen the parable of the talents lived out in modern terms!!! They have been using the talents we've been given, and they've seen god "grow" their investments. We'll turn around and invest that money back into the several ministries in our church, and we'll see how God blesses our obedience. It's been an awesome experience!!

This week, the kids and I also took a day trip over to Glenrose, TX to a drive-through Wildlife reserve. The zebras, deer, rams, giraffes and more would come right up to your car and eat out of your hand!!! The kids squealed with delight...it was a fun, bonding day together for us all. To top that day off, I stopped and bought them ice cream without them even asking...that NEVER happens (mainly because they ask for it every time we drive past any facility that sells ice cream!!) This time I beat them to it!! It's fun to bless your kids when they aren't being greedy, bratty, demanding, or presumptuous...maybe there's a spiritual lesson in that truth!?!? Hmmmm... :)

Today is Thanksgiving Day, and we are going to have our very first Thansgiving meal together with just our little family. We've always gone to other family members' homes for the celebration, and we've always just eaten what was presented before us. Today, I will be following mom's directions and cooking my first turkey (yikes!!). I am also cooking Granny's sweet potatoe casserole, Ashley's hash brown casserole, whole green beans, fruit salad, rolls and pumpkin pie. I think I officially feel like a grown up right now :)...I may feel differently when we taste all of my cooking! As my disclaimer: I have never claimed to be a good cook :)!!!

It's been a really great week. It's been a great fall. Although there have been hard days, and we have had our fair share of struggles and disappointments this year, it's really been a great year full of God's blessings, provisions, friendships, miracles, tangible lessons, and more. As we have settled in more to our new life here in Texas, we can see God moving in our family like never before. I sometimes feel like I can physically see the changes taking place in Chris's spirit. His convictions have grown stronger and deeper, and His passion for the Lord is more obvious in all of his conversations. I LOVE IT!!! Also to watch the kids develop their own spiritual convictions and to observe their spiritual gifts maturing is a true gift from God. I feel 100% confident that I will be able to look back on these years in seminary and totally see how God used it in all of our lives.

I am extremely blessed, and I am eternally grateful. I don't know why God loves any of us so much. We definitely don't do anything to deserve His love, mercy, and grace. As I think about these gifts, I am especially thankful for the biggies: my salvation, earthly life, health, Godly husband, precious children, our families, friends, home, my church, our jobs, students, car, clothes, food, ability to think and grow and learn, freedom, and my country. Then there are the other things currently in my life that bring me so much joy and cause me to give thanks: my pup-dog (yes, sweet Fitzi is still around!!), that first morning cup of coffee, peppermint mocha creamer :), funny texts/emails/facebook posts that make me giggle our loud in Walmart :), inside jokes between me and Chris, my running group/ therapy time with my girls, getting out my Christmas decorations,....the list could go on and on and on. I am truly a blessed little girl :)))!

"As I go begin my official 'First Turkey' preparations, God, keep me mindful that You have blessed us with Your joy, Your love, Your strength, Your peace, and Your contentment. Lord, please help us keep our eyes on the eternal, thankful for the blessing we have while here but always focused on what will bring You glory forever. help us to truly live like royalty, sons and daughters of the King of Kings!!"

1 comment:

  1. I hope y'all had a wonderful Thanksgiving! I love and miss you. Thanks for posting this - very encouraging!

    ReplyDelete

Followers