Saturday, May 8, 2010

Waiting for "Mr. Right"

As I said in the last blog, the bank did not accept the offer we had on the house. After pouting and whining, the Holy Spirit began to move my heart towards Truths that I have been taught since I was a little girl. What redirected my thoughts and attitudes initially was a statement Chris made. He said, "It's hard to understand why God would dangle this carrot in front of our faces without having a plan for our good."
The last time he had used that phrase was when I had all of the trouble with my teaching certificate. Back in July I had all but signed the papers for my job at Boswell when I got a call from my to-be principal saying he couldn't hire me because my certificate was only good through January. He needed me to be certified through May. As we looked into it, I had transposed two numbers on my certificate application, making my certificate only good through the first semester. I cried so hard feeling like I had totally messed up our future in seminary/Texas by my one mistake. We kicked, screamed, and shook our fists at God asking Him WHY He would "dangle that carrot" in front of our faces and then snatch it away. It was ugly...we had a lot of apologizing and repenting to do after that tantrum!! Now, as Chris used that same phrase, I realized what the Lord was telling me to do..."Don't act the same way you did last time...this is your chance to be obedient in your attitude, actions, and words." I was quickly reminded of what our pastor said a couple of weeks ago, "Faith is believing in advance what you can only see in reverse." I can look back on that certificate situation and see how God totally took care of the details, and He didn't snatch away His gift at all. As a matter of fact, He was allowing that trial to shape me and make me more obedient for the trials to come. Even before the day was over, a peace had come over me. I wasn't happy with the situation; I didn't like the circumstances; but I had to believe and confess that God was still good, and He was still in control. As I prayed this to the Lord, He gave me an awesome analogy. It was about waiting for "Mr. Right."

I imagined myself being a 20/30 year old...never married...no children...desperately wanting to get married and have a family. Along comes "Mr. Half-Way Right." He isn't perfect, but he is better than nothing. We get engaged, send out the invitations, and spend months planning for the Big Day. Sadly, however, he calls off the wedding just days before the event. I suffer major sadness, depression, embarrassment, humiliation, etc..., but this one was out of my control. I fear that I will NEVER marry. My situation feels hopeless....Now, fast forward a year or two...I have grown as a person, mentally and spiritually. I can look back and see that "Mr. Half-Way Right" wasn't right at all, and I am thankful that the Lord allowed me to escape that situation (against my will). When I am all out of "advice" for God, He brings along "Mr Right." As I realize the blessings of waiting for what is right, I can see "in reverse" what God had planned in advance for me. His way was immensely better...God's plan NEVER requires us to settle for 2nd best. His plan is always THE best...we just may need to way for it.

Maybe we were settling for a 2nd best scenario with the house sale. Perhaps the buyers or the time or the dollar amount were not right on this particular situation. We have asked the Lord for "the best".... so we will wait. It may be painful, and we may not like it, but in the end, it WILL be the best. There truly is an indescribable peace that comes with totally releasing your dreams, plans, desires, and wills to the Lord.

Stay tuned...this house will sale to the right person at the right time for the right amount of money (for both parties), and it will be a testimony to God's greatness! Just WAIT and SEE!! Thank you, Lord, for being the great teacher and Father that you are!!!

1 comment:

  1. Great analogy! This really hit home for me! Hope all goes well, I'll keep you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete

Followers