Monday, April 26, 2010

Wrapping up the first year...


Unfortunately, the title for today is only true for Chris...he's wrapping up his first year this week. Classes go on all this week, and then next week is finals week. He'll have a nice break for about 3 weeks, and then he'll start back up in June. That's when my break begins. Although our schedules do not line up very well, he is only in class 2 days a week this summer, and then he's only in class 3 days a week in the fall. That's going to be really nice...or as they say here Texas, "niiiiice". I think I've caught myself saying that lonnngggg "i" a couple of times...uh-oh, I may be losing my "Mississippi/Southern accent":)!

As I reflect back over this year, I can only look in awe at the many ways God has met our every need. There has never, not even once, been a moment when we have gone without. We've not missed a meal. We've not been late on a single bill. Our kids have not missed out on one sport opportunity, extra-curricular activity or field trip. Our holiday celebrations have been better than ever, and the kids have never felt so loved on their birthdays as this year. Our sweet friends at NOBC sent cards, cards, and more cards wishing each child a very happy birthday...the kids felt like movie stars with so much attention! As if all that is not enough, the Lord has blessed me with several sweet, precious, friends that not only share a common love for the Lord but also a love for running (at 5 a.m.!!) Eight of us will be meeting in less than 12 hours for an early morning run before the sun comes up...GOD IS GOOD :)!!!Not one of these provisions, big or small, has been a result of anything we have done. Every blessing poured out on us has been a direct gift from God. There have been times I have felt guilty because I know just how stubborn, lazy, and rotten I can be, and I know I don't deserve anything from the Lord. Yet He blesses me, cares for me, and never bases any of His thoughts towards me on my goodness. THANK GOODNESS!!

Many of you know that we struggled when we first got here. We just did not like this area. (ask my mom...she'll tell you!!! I complained 24/7) The town was different, the people were different, and nothing seemed to "fit us." After moping around for months, God slowly seemed to peel away layers of obstructed vision from our eyes, and we began to see things from His perspective. We were slowly able to see the beauty of our new life here and the perfect fit it was for us and our family. We began to see that life isn't just going to be good these next 4 years here in Ft Worth, it's going to "abundant and full." God doesn't do things half-way...this was exactly where He plsced us, so it was time for us to grow some roots and bloom where we have been planted!

One thing we knew before we ever moved out here was that we desperately wanted to find and love our new church. After 6 months of searching, we finally found Eagles' View Church. While we still deeply love and miss NOBC and the people that make up that body, we also have fallen in love with Eagle's View and the body of Christ that meets in a not-so-pretty, little building. It may not look like much from the outside, but there is true beauty on the inside.The Holy Spirit loves to show up in that place Sunday after Sunday, and we really are blessed by worshipping there.

We also knew that my job was an important factor in our overall happiness. I wanted to love my new`school and students, but that did not come naturally at first either. They seemed so different from all the kids I had taught before, and I was very ware of the fact that I wasn't "at home." As time has progressed, however, I have realized that kids truly are the same everywhere you go. They all want to be loved; they all want to be accepted; they all want guidelines and boundaries(even though they deny this); and they all want a teacher that loves them like God loves them. Now, most of them are not even aware of these things, but it is true. I see my mission field is there, and I try to take those opportunities whenever I can. By this point in the year, I can truly say that i love these kiddos...they drive me crazy half of the time, but I do love them. Sometimes I dream of being a stay-at-home mom/ preacher's wife...doing Bible studies, serving on PTO, etc....right now, however, I know God is not finished with me in the public high school classroom.

There is one last thing I want to include as I look back over this year. That one thing is how God has so incredibly grown our children closer to Him throughout this year. All three kids really struggled with their new life styles...the lack of excessive funds was a new concept for them. Not getting candy EVERY time we stopped at a gas station was a major life lesson, but they have slowly but surely adjusted. There have been times when I have worried that we have totally messed them up...MaryBeth has been to 5 schools in 5 years...no joke! Benton isn't too far behind her! In the back of my mind I also know that Ft Worth probably isn't a permanent thing either, and that worries me even more...and then I remember who the father of lies and worries is, and he is not going to get that victory in my mind nor over my children!!! They are all very well-rounded, easy-going, fun-loving children. Every move has grown them in unique, positive ways. Each one has grown in their own way, mentally, physically, and spiritually- I have especially been seeing some genuine spiritual development in MaryBeth as she is older and able to develop her own thoughts and opinions. Her actions, attitudes, and choices are proof positive that the Holy Spirit is alive and at work in her. The boys have grown too, but it's just easier to see in an older kid. Don't get me wrong...they are all still very, very normal kids. They have to be taught, corrected, and disciplined on a regular basis....very regular basis!!!

I remember a very wise man telling us before we left that our "seminary days" would be some very sweet, fond memories one day...at that time, I didn't fully believe him :)! That man (Bro Gary), however, was very right :)!!! If anyone had walked down a similar road before and seen the faithfulness of God first hand, it was him. As I wrap up this letter and as we wrap up our first year at seminary, I can truly say, "Thank you, Lord. Thank you for the cross; thank you for your unconditional love; thank you for choosing us; thank you for the honor of serving You. You are so good...all of the time...in every situation. I am so thankful you call us your children!"

p.s. We have a contract on our house, but I want to wait till it's all finalized before I write about it...Already I can see God's hand totally all over it...details to follow :)!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers