Tuesday, October 7, 2014

It's been a while...

Too much to put into one blog...

In Fort Worth, writing was therapy. In Senatobia, writing has been an itch that I couldn't find time to scratch. I really don't have time now. I should be cooking dinner or grading papers...but I feel the urge to write.

Not to my surprise, my need to communicate is what is driving me to write today. I posted a long "rant" on facebook this morning, but then I decided that was neither the time nor the place. So before too many people could read it (and possibly even like it), I quickly removed it. The message needs to be communicated, so here goes...

Someone recently said of one of my children, "He/She doesn't act like a preacher's kid...." After I calmed down from processing the comment, I asked myself, "What does that even mean?" How are "preacher's kids" supposed to act? Are they supposed to sit and read and study the Scriptures for hours on end? Are they supposed to make hospital visits weekly? Should they be at every church function every time the doors are opened? I mean, those are the things that a preacher does....

Maybe this person was talking about a particular set of personality traits. Preachers are usually outgoing and friendly, so maybe that's the expectation. They shake a lot of hands, pat a lot of backs, make friends with all people of all ages, and never seem to feel annoyed, angry, aggravated or stressed. Keep in mind, preachers are adults who have learned to put on a happy face when all is crumbling on the inside. They've lived long enough to be comfortable in their own skin, so differences in personalities, interests, and likes don't separate. For most adults, differences make people more interesting and valuable. Teenagers are a different breed all together!!

When speaking of a teenager or a child who happened to be born into a family in which the father is a pastor, one must realize the children had no say-so into which family they were born. They came into this world with their own little genetic make-up. They came pre-programmed with basic traits, likes, dislikes, and quirks. More than likely, their parents have made more than their fair share of mistakes in rearing them, but I would be willing to bet, most pastor/ fathers and mothers have prayed countless prayers for their children and sought God's wisdom in the choices they have made regarding their children. I know this is true of the Williams family.  Although we were not originally in the ministry, we have always tried to do what we believed to be the will of God in our lives and the lives of our children. Yes, we have made a bunch of mistakes, but God has always given us opportunities to go back and use those mistakes to show our kids the amazing grace and love of God.

Now that two of our children are teenagers and one is a preteen, we are realizing we cannot control MUCH in this world, let alone their lives. Now don't get me wrong, we have many controls set such as curfews, privileges, bed times, etc....but these little people have their own minds! And sometimes they speak it when it's not appreciated nor appropriate! And then we control consequences :) ! They are all so different even though the same two people brought them into the world and raised them all in the same home We have had to think and rethink and re-rethink parenting every time we turn a new corner. Our kids are all smart, beautiful, busy, at times-annoying, funny, temper mental, loud, expensive, talented,messy, always-hungry and incredibly wonderful, NORMAL children. In addition to being our kids (a.k.a. "preacher's kids") they are all children of God. They are saved by grace, They are works in progress....and aren't we all??!!

Maybe this person didn't mean that my child wasn't acting like a preacher's kid...maybe she meant that he/she wasn't acting like a child of God. Now that's a WHOLE different story...and we need to talk!!! (not me and this person...me and my child!) On our way to school today we discussed what it looks like to be a child of God...to show others His love, His grace, His compassion for those who are different, outcast, hurting, and alone. Maybe they heard me.....

I pray that my daily doses of Truth are taking root in their hearts and minds. Please know we are no different than you. We struggle with the sames things you struggle. We have the same fears, doubts, worries, gripes, and complaints. Hopefully, we are all in the daily process or growing and developing to be more and more like Christ. It "ain't always pretty," but thankfully God somehow works it for our good and His glory!

I now have kids fighting over Xbox headphones, and I am way overdue on starting dinner before we run off to soccer practice!! Life is busy, and it is hard...but I wouldn't change a thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers